Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Adding the third box
I inspected my hives again now 39 days after the packages were installed. I found the top (second) boxes full of brood.  Here are brood in the cells with only a few cells capped.  You can see the larvae curled in the bottoms of the cells.
This frame has more cells capped but is full of brood as well.
Here is a nearly full frame of capped brood from the middle of the box.  There is some uncapped honey and pollen in the top of the frame and some bridge comb along the bottom.  There first three pictures are from the first hive.  The second box was so full that I decided to add a third box, which should complete the brood boxes.
This is a frame from the second hive, also full of uncapped brood, with a few capped cells.
Another frame full of brood with more of it capped.
A frame full of capped brood from the second hive.  There are a few drone cells along the bottom -- the caps that seemed poofed out a bit.  A little bit of honey and pollen along the top, but this frame is nearly full of brood.
I added a third box to both hives, though the second hive was not quite as fully drawn out as  the first one.  I also filled the feeders on both hives with a gallon of sugar water to help them fill out the third box.  Once the top third box is nearly drawn out, I will remove the feeders.  With all of the capped and uncapped brood that I found in these boxes, the population will be expected to rapidly increase.  I only checked the top boxes this time as I was limited for time.

No comments: